Ruby J. Dixon (1885-1968)
From Biographical Wiki
|Ruby J. Dixon|
|Born:||22 Jan 1885 New Vienna, Ohio|
|Died:||18 Mar 1968 Cincinnati, Ohio|
|Father:||Charles E. Dixon|
|Mother:||Minnie M. Henderson|
|Spouse:||Ray G. DeVoist|
Mrs. Ruby DeVoist, social worker and civic leader, died today at her residence at Anna Louise Inn, 300 Lytle Street.
She was director of social work at Cincinnati Union Bethel Settlement House for more than 50 years. She also was active in a number of civic groups throughout her life.
She was the wife of the late Dr. Ray G. DeVoist, organizer and director of the Anti-Tuberculosis League of Cincinnati. He died in 1940.
Mrs. DeVoist was a graduate of Ohio Wesleyan University and studied piano at the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music.
She was one of the pioneer women in Girl Scouting in Cincinnati. She founded the first troop at the settlement house, Girl Scout Troop No. 1, and was its leader for many years.
Mrs. DeVoist was past president of the College Club and a charter member of the National Assn. of Social Workers. She was also a member of the Walnut Hills-Avondale Methodist Church; Cincinnati Women's Club; Mt. Auburn Literary Club; Zonta International; Women's Committee, Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra; League of Women Voters; American Assn. of University Women; and the American Musical Theater Club.
The Fuldner Mortuary, 421 Arch street, is in charge of arrangements.
Deaths and Funerals (3-25-68)
Services for Mrs. Ray DeVoist, widely known Cincinnati club woman, will be at 2. p. m. Wednesday at Walnut Hills-Avondale Methodist Church, Ashland Ave., and McMillan.
Mrs. DeVoist died Monday at her home, 300 Lytle St. She was the widow of Dr. Ray G. DeVoist.
Mrs. DeVoist was born in New Vienna, Ohio, and was graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University. She was director of social work at Old Cincinnati Union Bethel Settlement House for some 40 years until it was torn down. She was active in the present work of the Union Bethel.
She was a member of the Walnut Hills-Avondale Methodist Church, the Cincinnati Women's Club, past president of the College Club, the Mt. Auburn Literary Club, the board of the YMCA, a charter member of the National Association of Social Workers, the Zonta International, the Woman's Committee of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, the Woman's City Club, the League of Woman Voters, the American Association of University Woman, a charter member of the American Musical Theater Club and numerous other organizations.
Burial will be at Spring Grove. There will be no visitation.
- Obituaries from Alonzo Marion Boothe scrapbook
- Photos courtesy of Elizabeth Helen Crane Boothe
- 1900 Federal Census, New Vienna, Green Twp., Clinton, Ohio, 4 June 1900, ED 61 Dist 5 St 3 dwelling 49, family 50
- Dixon, Charles, head, white, male, Dec 1858, md 20, OH, NC, OH, Grocer
- , Minnie M., wife, white, female, May 1860, md 20, OH, OH, OH, Millinery--
- , Ruby J., daughter, white, female, Jan 1886, 14, single, OH, OH, OH, at school
- Clark, ------, sister, white, female, --------OH, NC, OH
- 1920 Federal Census, Cincinnati City Precinct "K", Hamilton, Ohio, Cincinnati Union Bethel, 12 Jan 1920:
- De Voist, Ray E., male, white, 31, married, Michigan, New York, Michigan, Physician, Social Service
- , Ruby, assistant, female, white, 33, married, Ohio, Ohio, Ohio, Office Manager, Social Service
- Death: Social Security Death Index:
- Ruby Devoist
- Birth Date: 22 Jan 1886
- Death Date: Mar 1968
- Social Security Number: 273-24-0405
- State Where Number Was Issued: Ohio
- Death Residence Zip Code: 45202
- Localities: Cincinnati, Hamilton, Ohio
- Burial: Spring Grove Cemetery:
- ID: 158110
- Deceased Name: RUBY DEVOIST
- Interment Date : 01/01/1968
- Garden: LN
- Section 27, Lot 32, Space 122
- Sexton's Record:
- DeVoist, Ruby
- ID# 158110
- Place of Birth: New Vienna, Ohio
- Late Residence: 300 Lytle St., Cincinnati, Ohio
- Place of Death: Residence
- Age- Birth Date: January 22, 1885
- Decease: March 18, 1968
- Interment: Wednesday, March 20, 1968 3:00
- Parents: Charles Dixon and Minnie Henderson
- Lot Owner: Cin. Union Bethel
- Section 27, Lot 32, Grave 122
- Type & sixe of grave: Con. Vlt 7-9x36
- Undertaker: Fuldner
- Ordered by: Fuldner & friend, Miss Cornelai Slater, 3284 Nash Ave., Cincinnati, Ohio
- Widowed - wife of: Dr. Raymond G. DeVoist
- Relation to lot owner: Signature of Secretary of Union Bethel required
- Charges: Grave $110.00